By Al Zehnder, CEO of Zehnder’s of Frankenmuth
For decades the Weiss family farm just outside of Frankenmuth has been supplying us with Blue Hubbard Squash. This year proves to be somewhat of a bumper crop and we anticipate receiving about 50 tons of the bluish-grey squash! It has been an iconic fall staple on our menu.
We have been sourcing local produce even before “farm to table” had a name. Over the years, we have expanded beyond squash and have developed a network of local farm providers listed below:
• Hecht’s Sweet Corn – Vassar
• Mike Polzin Farm in Montrose – tomatoes, bell peppers and sweet corn
• Carrigan Family Farm in Saginaw – summer squash, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes and melons
• Leafy Solutions of Frankenmuth – basil, mixed greens and micro-greens
• Ruhlig Farms of Carleton – peaches, broccoli, cantaloupe and honeydew
• Leitz Farms of Sodus – blueberries and tomatoes
• George Rudich and Sons of Bay City – cabbage
• Rolling Ridge Farms of Imlay City – zucchini, squash, bell pepper and purple cauliflower
We’re proud of our association with these fantastic farm partners as we work in concert to provide the freshest products and ingredients.
And, of course, they are all Pure Michigan!
Al Zehnder, CEO